The beginnings and use of this area dates back to the early 1920s. The area was originally known as "Lake View".
The Daily Telegraph of 17 March 1924 indicated that gypsum being supplied from Victoria was costly, and subsequently, the Geological Department conducted an inspection of the MIA locality to establish the extent and quality of gypsum in the area, suitable for mining. The purpose of the mining was to supply gypsum, containing not less than 60 per cent, calcium sulphate from the deposits to the settlers on the Murrumbidgee Irrigation Area. The largest deposit was discovered at an area known as 'Doolitty Swamp', located 5 miles west of Goolgowi.
A deposit was also discovered 4 miles north-north-west of Griffith (Lake Wyangan) and was first exploited in 1934 when A.M. Davies produced 460 tons of gypsum. In 1935, Griffith Gypsum Mines N.L. commenced mining operations and this continued until 1950, producing 98,332 tons of gypsum.
In 1937, J.H. Trenerry and party started mining gypsite from a dune east of the lake area and produced a total 2,601 tons to 1958. (Source: Geological Survey Report by the Department of Mines, The Mineral Industry of New South Wales, dated November 1965).
The 'The View Back – A History of Lake Wyangan' also makes significant reference to the operations of the Gypsum Mine and its workings, particularly during the 1930s. The mine closed in 1950.
The North Lake was formed in 1957 and primarily supplied through drainage water from nearby farms with the balance of the Lake's supply from runoff following heavy rains. Excess water was pumped out at its southern end to maintain a safe depth for aquatic sports.
Sailing at North Lake commenced in 1958; however, the Sailing Club was officially formed in 1961, with a Club House erected in 1962. The Boat Club that had originated in 1954 on the South Lake moved to the North Lake in 1962. Currently, North Lake has an area of 210 hectares, which gives public access through the Picnic area, Recreational Park, Campsite, and Boat and Sailing Clubs, all placed on the Lake's western side.

During the early 1920s, the southern lake contained very little water and was used as one of the main recreation spots in the district. Following a meeting in 1923, a Sports Club was formed, following which a Golf Course was constructed together with tennis courts. Further land clearing resulted in the creation of both a cricket and football ground. This area was also the location for the annual picnic and sports days of Lake View and Tharbogang Schools.
In 1924 it was noted that following a game at the Lake View Golf links, "there were hundreds of wild fowl on the lake, and a few pelicans, while around the basin there were plover, galahs and various other species of birds.
During the 1930s, Jim Bugno and Joe Kelly recalled a fish kill of hundreds of fish. The cause was not known, but 50lb cod came to the surface and covered the shores all around. There have been further fish kills in the 1970s along with the most recent in 2020.

The Golf Club folded in about 1956 when drainage water from nearby farm tile drainage systems filled the Lake, flooding the fairways. The Clubhouse burnt down in about 1962 while it was being used as a fibreglass factory. In 1989, the Department of Lands prepared a Land Assessment of the Jack Carson Wildlife Reserve together with Campbell's, Nericon and Tharbogang Swamps (now known as Wetlands).
Jack Carson Wildlife Reserve was notified as Reserve 159017 in 1994 in accordance with the Crown Lands Act 1989 for the purpose of Study and Conservation of Native Flora and Fauna. Currently, South Lake gives minimal opportunities for public access. South Lake used to be owned and managed by Murrumbidgee Irrigation, and recently Griffith City Council attained the authority to manage this Lake.