Keep Watch @ Public Pools
At GRALC child safety is at the heart of everything we do which is why we are Royal Life Saving (Australia) KEEP WATCH @ PUBLIC POOLS partner. For more information on the Keep watch program please visit the Royal Life Saving website https://www.royallifesaving.com.au/about/campaigns-and-programs/keep-watchWith lack of direct supervision by a parent or carer believed to be a contributing factor in 70% of all drowning deaths at public pools, the Keep Watch at Public Pools program aims to eliminate all drowning deaths and reduce the number of near drowning incidents. Our lifeguards do their best to watch everyone as often as possible but our lifeguards aren’t ever going to be as effective as a watchful, attentive parent or carer. Take this opportunity to put down the phone, the laptop or the newspaper and jump in the pool with your child, play games and have some quality, uninterrupted time together.
• Children under the age of 10 years will not be allowed into the centre unless accompanied by a responsible person aged 16 years or older, including for swimming lessons.
• All children under 5 must be within arm’s reach of a parent or carer at all times. This means that you should be in the water with them, ready to help them if they lose their footing or attempt something that may hurt them. You would not let your young child cross the road without you by their side and swimming can be just as dangerous.
• If your child is aged 6 - 10 years we recommend you are either in the water with them or at the closest entry point to the pool.
• If your child is 11-14 years we recommend you maintain visual contact and check in on them regularly.
• Stay off your phone! Drowning .
• Please take children with you if you need to leave the poolside for any reason.
• Any child GRALC staff believe is not being adequately supervised by a responsible carer will be taken out of the water until staff are satisfied that the child will be supervised properly.
• Please respect our staff and their actions which are done to ensure your child's safety.
To encourage parents and carers to get into the pools with their children GRALC offers swimming entries at the same price as spectator entries for up to 2 adults accompanying any child aged under 10 years.
GRALC is continully working with RLSSA & RLSSNSW to improve the safety of all pool users through regular audits, secret shopper and staff training and will continue to implement changes to improve the safety of you and your child.