Griffith CBD Strategy
In 2015, Council adopted an ambitious plan that seeks to rejuvenate the city centre of Griffith. The strategy primarily focuses on developing an attractive city centre that people want to visit more frequently and stay for longer periods of time - allowing businesses greater opportunity.
The main recommendations presented in the strategy include:
- Upgrading Kooyoo Street and Yambil Street as inviting areas to walk, socialise and stay
- Redeveloping Neville Place into a civic open garden
- Upgrading Banna Avenue to promote the main street and retail core
- Developing Olympic Park into a major Youth precinct and activity zone
- Redeveloping the Main Canal as recreational attraction in the city
- Upgrading off street car park to provide a higher level of amenity
It is proposed that $8million be spent in the next six years to see the city centre rejuvenated - it has never been a more exciting time to be in Griffith.
For more information, contact Council's Urban Design Planner, Nathan Farnell on 6962 8100.
CBD Upgrade Working Group
Yambil Street Master Plan
Griffith City Council has been preparing the first stage of the Yambil Street Master Plan between Jondaryan Avenue and Kooyoo Street. As recommended in the Griffith CBD Strategy, Yambil Street will become a more inviting commercial boulevard for people. The master plan seeks to calm traffic, support pedestrians and promote a more pleasant public realm. Yambil Street will become significantly more attractive through the incorporation of street trees, new pavement and additional public seating and lighting. The street will also include the installation of a new water main, a resurfaced road and an improvement stormwater drainage system.