COMMUNITY GROUPS IN GRIFFITH GIVEN A HELPING HAND
A bike riding program for local children, training to support refugees and improved amenities for volunteers are just some of the projects that have been funded as part of Griffith City Council’s Community Grant Fund.
More than $29,000 was awarded to local groups when Council endorsed the Round One 2018/19 recipients at the ordinary meeting on Tuesday, 23 October.
Mayor John Dal Broi said it was good to see worthwhile applications received from community groups, not-for-profit and charitable organisations, as well as individuals.
“It’s part of Council’s ongoing commitment to developing a vibrant and diverse community in line with guiding griffith 2040, which is our Community Strategic Plan,” Cr Dal Broi
“It is good to see a range of projects awarded funding for 2018/19 and the positive impact they will have on the community.
“The support that Council can provide through community grants makes a big difference, both to the recipients and the community they support.
“Many of the successful applications are for community projects or events that provide benefits to local residents.”
Chair of the Communities Committee, Councillor Anne Napoli, said the Community Grant Program enables a whole range of activities to be carried out.
“These grants are invaluable because they allow groups to continue to support our community,” said Cr Napoli
“Without this funding these organisations would not be able to deliver their service, project or event.”
Council’s Community Development Coordinator, Peta Dummett, said Council is pleased to support activities which result in positive outcomes for the Griffith Community.
The successful grant recipients are:
- Griffith Shed For Men Community Gathering Area/Carpark under cover
- NSW Service for the Treatment and Rehabilitation of Torture and Trauma Survivors - (STARTTS) Cultural Competence in Working with People from Refugee Backgrounds
- Griffith Community Drug Action Team CDAT SMART Recovery Training
- Griffith Community FM Association Inc Toilet refurbishment
- Lady of Loreta Festival Committee Church Hall Resources - chairs and tables
- Prostate Cancer Support Group - Awareness and Support for Men (and their families) experiencing Prostate Cancer
- Dyirri-Bang-gu Aboriginal Corporation - Aged Care Service Walk About - Elders Day Out
- Tharbogang Public School P & C Association Riding For Focus - Pilot program to deliver a before school bike riding program
- Griffith Senior Citizens INC Chair Replacement Program. Griffith Senior Citizen's Centre
- St Patrick's Primary School Griffith Purchase and installation of playground seating
- Griffith Pony Club Inc Replacement of essential equipment to enable Griffith Pony Club to continue and expand its activities
- Leo Forner Participating in West of the Divide European Music Tour
- Tirkandi Inaburra Cultural & Development Centre – outs Defib Machine