Planning >> Development Applications

Development Applications

When is a DA required?

A Development Application (DA) is required for most ‘development’ within the Griffith Local Government Area. The Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 defines ‘development’ as:

• The use of the land;
• The subdivision of the land;
• The erection of a building;
• The carrying out of work;
• The demolition of a building or work; and/or
• Any other act, matter or thing controlled by an environmental planning instrument.

To obtain development consent, you must lodge a DA with Griffith City Council. However before you lodge a DA, you must determine which class of development your proposal falls into.

There are 3 classes of development of which the above ‘development(s)’ fall into:

• Development which does not need consent;
• Development that needs consent; and
• Development which is prohibited.

Development which does not need consent is known as “Exempt Development” and is development of minimal environmental impact such as gazebo’s, flagpoles, ornamental water features, etc. To check if your development is classified as exempt development, please read the State Environment Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Code) 2008.

Development that needs consent can be further divided into two categories; “Local Development” and “State Significant Development”.

“Local Development” is all development which requires development consent. Local development may also include “Complying Development”, “Integrated Development” and “Designated Development”. Generally, local development is development which is assessed by Council and may include things such as dwellings, commercial businesses, subdivision and the like. The majority of applications received by Council are classified as local development.

“Complying Development” is for small scale, low impact development that complies with the predetermined standard requirements. To check if your development is classified as complying development, please read the State Environment Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Code) 2008. Should your development be complying development, you can submit a Complying Development Application to Council or an accredited certifier for approval.

“Integrated Development” is development which requires development consent from Council and at least one approval, permit, licence, authority or consent under various types of legislation. The list of integrated development is identified under Section 91 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979.

“Designated Development” is development for which a development application is to be submitted to Council in conjunction with an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS). A list of developments which are classified as designated development can be found in Schedule 3 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Regulation 2000. Much of it involves heavy industry with the potential of high pollution, however it also involves livestock industries such as feedlots and piggeries, extractive industries, coal and many other mining operations and aircraft facilities.

“State Significant Development” is development declared by a State Environmental Planning Policy or Regional Environmental Planning Policy to be State significant development; or development which the minister has called in for determination; or prohibited development which the minister has directed be referred for their determination. The Minister for Planning is the consent authority for State significant development.

Development that is prohibited cannot be consented to.  Please refer to the Griffith Local Environmental Plan 2014 to see what uses are prohibited on you land.

Please speak to one of our Development Planners on (02) 6962 8100 if you are unsure which category your proposal falls into.

What is a Construction Certificate for Building & Civil Works?

A Construction Certificate (CC) for building or civil works certifies that the detailed construction plans and specifications for the development are consistent with the development consent and comply with the various legislations, including the Building Code of Australia, Australian Standards, RTA Guidelines, etc. This certificate is required prior to commencing any works.

Building works - houses, shops, slabs, ramps, structural changes, etc
Civil works – new roads, kerb and gutter, works on water and sewer mains, etc

Can I gain approval from someone other than Council?

Council, with the exception of the State Government and the Land and Environment Court of NSW, is the only authority that can issue DA approval within Griffith. However, once you have obtained your Development Consent, you have the choice of whom you engage as your Principal Certifying Authority (PCA) for the issue of the Construction Certificate (CC) for building works. Your PCA can be either Council or an Accredited Certifier. An Accredited Certifier can also issue a “Complying Development Certificate” .

Please note that a Construction Certificate (CC) for Civil Works may only be issued by Council, and only the nominated PCA can issue the Occupation Certificate.

Who are the accredited certifiers?

The State Government, through the Department of Planning, has set up a system that allows certain individuals to become accredited as certifiers. These certifiers require certain levels of knowledge and experience to become and remain certified under this system.

The Department of Planning can advise of the Accredited Private Certifiers within our area.

What fees are payable?

Fees and charges will be assessed based on the proposed works to be carried out in accordance with Council’s Revenue Policy. For more information about fees, to obtain a quote for your development application, please contact Council’s Customer Service Officers on (02) 6962 8100.

How do I lodge a Development Applications and/or a Construction Certificate?

An applicant can lodge an application for a:

a) Development consent for development other than “exempt” or “complying” development with Council only; or
b) Construction Certificate for building works (where a Development Application is required) with Council or an Accredited Private Certifier; or
c) Construction Certificate for Civil works (where a Development Application is required) with Council only; or
d) Complying Development Certificate with Council or an Accredited Private Certifier.

Application forms can be found by clicking here or visiting Council’s Administration Building at 1 Neville Place, Griffith.

What supporting information do I need to submit with my application?

It will depend upon your proposal. For further information regarding supporting information, please refer to the Development Information Guides.

Helpful Links

Major Changes to Home Building Laws